EMW Board of Directors
Nominations & Recruiting
East Meets West is currently recruiting select individuals to serve on our Board of Directors and Board committees.
East Meets West is one of the largest and most successful nongovernmental organizations in Vietnam and beyond. Founded over 25 years ago, EMW has extensive experience addressing issues that face the world's most disadvantaged populations. EMW is in an exciting phase of growth and development. Our operating budget has grown from $6 million in 2003 to over $16 million today. Our staff has increased from 20 employees in central Vietnam to over 100 in several countries, working on dynamic programs advancing the cause of clean water and sanitation, global health and education.
The EMW Board of Directors wants to build on these strengths and enhance the global and strategic capacity of our Board. The Board recognizes the value of a wide range of perspectives among its membership and is seeking the nominations of candidates who will enhance its diversity, both geographically and professionally. To see our current Board, please visit our Board of Directors page.
EMW Board Member Duties
This is a volunteer position with a three-year term. The Board provides oversight and policy direction for EMW's president and senior staff, and is not involved in day-to-day management.
Board member duties include:
- Attend and actively participate in four annual Board meetings: February, May, August and November.
- Devote sufficient time to fully engage with EMW, including serving on one or more of the Audit, Finance, Strategy, Fundraising, and Governance/Nominating Committees.
- Be able to travel to visit project sites and attend EMW functions.
- Play an active role in fundraising, either through personal donations or by working on the Fundraising Committee.
- Connect EMW senior staff to other relevant global networks where possible.
Desired Candidate Qualifications
Because EMW programs span many sectors of global development, the Board is seeking nominations of individuals with a wide variety of backgrounds and areas of expertise. Candidates for consideration to the EMW board may include, but are not limited to:
- Individuals actively engaged in delivering global health, education, and clean water and sanitation in developing nations
- Individuals of note from the private sector
- Individuals with business or philanthropic ties to global communities
- Individuals from the international public sector
A solid track record of social responsibility and committed engagement with issues pertinent to international development is particularly important. Examples of such issues include strengthening access to education; advancing child and family health; delivering clean water and improved sanitation; leveraging technology; and improving the capacity of healthcare systems.
Finally, the ability to “give and get” financial support for EMW, in a way that it is meaningful for the board member and for EMW, is a significant factor in the candidacy consideration process.
To nominate individuals for consideration, contact Peter Singer by email. If possible, please include a resume or biography of the individual and briefly describe your reasons for recommending him or her. We appreciate your assistance in identifying one or more outstanding individuals suitable for election to the Board of Directors.
Chair, Nominating Committee
East Meets West Board of Directors
1611 Telegraph Ave, Suite 1420
Oakland, CA 94612