Breath of Life
When East Meets West provides a hospital in the developing world with the full range of Breath of Life equipment, this package of innovative technologies constitutes a cost-effective, durable, low-maintenance Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) to effectively treat premature infants and other newborns suffering from life-threatening health conditions. The following machines are the components of a NICU provided by the Breath of Life program.
The BOL Package of Appropriate Technologies
- CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure)
- LED phototherapy
- Infant resuscitation station and infant warmer
- Hand sanitizer
- Pulse oximeter
- Baby bonnet
What Makes These Technologies So Effective
- Locally manufactured by MTTS (Medical Techology Transfer Service)Instructions, controls, and manuals in local language
- Replacement parts easily obtained
- Accessible technical support and maintenance
- Tested in conditions of actual use and appropriately adapted
- Durable and low maintenance
- Not reliant on expensive consumables
- Scalable for each country, hospital, clinic conditions
The Pathologies They Treat
- CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) and pulse oximeter machines provide relief from respiratory distress, pneumonia, and asphyxia, all problems common in premature and low birth-weight infants whose lungs are insufficiently developed.
- LED phototherapy and light-meters with long-lasting, high-intensity LED lights provide essential phototherapy treatment for infants with pathologic jaundice. Untreated, neonatal jaundice is accompanied by toxic levels of bilirubin that can easily lead to permanent brain damage.
- Infant resuscitation stations, infant warmers and baby bonnets help rapidly elevate low core body temperatures, supporting doctors in resuscitation activities immediately after birth and when intensive care is required.
- Hand sanitizers prevent the spread of infections. A specially formulated, isopropanol-based antimicrobial hand sanitizer that dries immediately is designed to rapidly eliminate germs where hand washing facilities are limited or unavailable.
For more information
Breath of Life
1-800-561-3378 or 510-763-7045